About Me

My Photo
Michael
This blog is about 3 things. First, eating out and telling you about it. Writing food reviews is fun and enjoyable. Second, making my own meals and sharing recipes. I'm all about simple, easy, and tasty. Third, tackling some challenges in my cookbooks. This way I learn techniques and flavors that I can add to my own cooking. And it all adds up to lots of talk about lots of food. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
View my complete profile
Deck On Food Seattle restaurants

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Deck's Shrimp Scampi

THIS IS A REPOST FROM DECKONFOOD.COM.  http://deckonfood.com/?p=490

Almost every time we spend more than a couple days with Jennifer's sister, I get a request for shrimp scampi.  According to her, mine is the only one that she really likes (and I have no problem going along with that).  Shrimp is one of those things that is very tasty and quick to cook, but at the same time can be easily overcooked, so the key to this dish is cooking the shrimp over medium-low heat, flipping them only once.  I started cooking this about 4 years ago, and have worked to refine it and make it delicious.

The shrimp can be served in a number of different ways, but my favorite is over pasta.  And tonight I took it up a notch making fresh homemade pasta which was delicious.

At this point, the recipe is simply for the shrimp preparation itself, as I'm still working through some sauce ideas. I think if I take the remaining white wine/butter sauce, and add a little bit of heavy cream and some seasoning I might have something.  In the meantime, I use a creamy pesto sauce from Knorr's, which has been a fan favorite.

Deck's Shrimp Scampi

Serves 2
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. Shrimp, shelled and deveined
  • 1/4 cup sweet cream butter
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • Salt and pepper for seasoning
Step 1 - Over medium-low heat (about 4 or 5 on the 1-10 dial), melt the butter in a 10-inch skillet.  Once the butter is foaming, just before it begins to brown, add the garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes until it starts release its aroma.


Step 2 - While the butter is browning, remove the tails from the shrimp and season with salt and pepper (about a 3 finger pinch of salt per pound, pepper to taste).  You don't want to put the salt on too early or it can dry out the shrimp and leave it a little tough.

Step 3 - Add the shrimp to the butter and garlic.  Make sure all of them are laying flat in the skillet.  Once theyare in the butter, add the white wine.  Cook for about 2 minutes (until just cooked through), and then flip over.

Step 4 - Just before the shrimp is done, sprinkle the chopped basil over the shrimp.  Then remove with a slotted spoon, and serve over the top of your pasta or rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment