About Me

My Photo
Michael
This blog is about 3 things. First, eating out and telling you about it. Writing food reviews is fun and enjoyable. Second, making my own meals and sharing recipes. I'm all about simple, easy, and tasty. Third, tackling some challenges in my cookbooks. This way I learn techniques and flavors that I can add to my own cooking. And it all adds up to lots of talk about lots of food. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
View my complete profile
Deck On Food Seattle restaurants

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Deck on Elysian - Seattle Restaurant Review

For some reason I've set on this search for the best burger in Seattle.  I really enjoy a lot of good food, but there is just something about a great burger that can always put a smile on my face.  So, the search for the burger continued this weekend when I met one of my friends at the Elysian in SoDo prior to the Mariner's game.

The Elysian has always been a good place to meet prior to baseball and football games down in SoDo, especially when you bring the girls.  It's not a typical sports bar, they brew their own beer, and it has a little bit of class.  On this particular evening, the place was pretty full with Mariner fans getting ready for the game and Sounders fans enjoying the end of their day downtown.  When I got there, I ordered an amber and a burger.  When asked if I wanted cheese, I decided on pepperjack, adding a little spice to my life, on a medium burger.  And of course I got fries to go with it.

When the burger arrived, it looked nice, served open so I could add my own condiments.  I decided to only add one piece of lettuce (I'm just not a huge lettuce fan), the tomatoes, red onion, and roasted red pepper for a little extra flavor.  I then put the top on and cut it in half.  The burger had a nice color to it, but wasn't overly juicy.  When I bit in, I actually got a piece of paper that had been used to separate the slices of cheese, so I was a little disappointed by that.  When I removed it, and took another, non-paper filled bite, the burger was much improved.  The red pepper was a very nice flavor addition, but the burger itself was a little bland.  I really prefer my burgers to be very flavorful and juicy, dominating the flavors of the bite, with the other toppings simply accenting the ultimate flavor of the burger.


So, while the burger was merely ok, the fries were quite excellent.  They were perfectly crispy on the outside while remaining moist on the inside, and were salted very well.  Even at the end of the meal, when they had cooled down, they remained crisp and flavorful.  They were exactly what I want in a french fry.  In the end, I'm still looking for that amazing burger, but the Elysian will definitely remain one of our pre-game stops.  The food is good, though I'll have to try something a little different next time, and the vibe is just right.
Elysian Fields on Urbanspoon


Final Verdict - 3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment