About Me

My Photo
Michael
This blog is about 3 things. First, eating out and telling you about it. Writing food reviews is fun and enjoyable. Second, making my own meals and sharing recipes. I'm all about simple, easy, and tasty. Third, tackling some challenges in my cookbooks. This way I learn techniques and flavors that I can add to my own cooking. And it all adds up to lots of talk about lots of food. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
View my complete profile
Deck On Food Seattle restaurants

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day Breakfast

This morning I fully intended on getting up and making a great breakfast; my first attempt at a stuffed French Toast.  Not that either of us have our mothers in town for this day, but that's no reason not to make a breakfast.  And then I was going to share the recipe so that anyone would be able to make this delicious dish whenever they wanted.  I started out on the right note, pulling out some great and delicious looking ingredients (brioche loaf, cinnamon, strawberries).


I can't take credit for the whole thing.  The inspiration for this came from a post on the blog Savory Sweet Life, one of the top (if not the top) Seattle food blogs.  But, rather than just following her simple, proven recipe, I had to come up with something similar but with a couple of twists.

Everything started out just fine, but somewhere a long the way, things didn't quite come together the way that I had planned.  It's not that it turned out bad, just not quite what I was looking for.  The flavors were good, but a little weak.  The good thing about it is I think I know where I made my mistakes, mostly with the filling.  I didn't have enough of it to balance out the thickness of the bread.  It was good, just not enough.  And I need to make sure that I include more of the fresh strawberries for both the filling and the topping.

This French Toast definitely has a lot of potential, and I will try it again next weekend, this time as a Birthday Breakfast, and once I get it, I will be sure to provide the recipe.  It's one of the joys of cooking, sometimes you get it, and sometimes you don't.  Fortunately, it seems like I've been getting it more often than not lately (knock on wood).

No comments:

Post a Comment