About Me

My Photo
Michael
This blog is about 3 things. First, eating out and telling you about it. Writing food reviews is fun and enjoyable. Second, making my own meals and sharing recipes. I'm all about simple, easy, and tasty. Third, tackling some challenges in my cookbooks. This way I learn techniques and flavors that I can add to my own cooking. And it all adds up to lots of talk about lots of food. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
View my complete profile
Deck On Food Seattle restaurants

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Deck on Macrina Bakery - Seattle Restaurant Review

Thanks to a downed internet connection, and the need to meet the cable guy at home, I finally ended up having a day in Seattle where I could go grab lunch.  I thought about a lot of different places, and when I finally decided I wanted to have a sandwich, I headed to Macrina Bakery in Queen Anne.  Macrina Bakery was a place that I had heard about but not had the opportunity to visit, so I figured this was as good a time as any.  After getting my internet back up and running, I headed out to Queen Anne. 
Macrina Bakery actually has three locations around Seattle, the original being located in Belltown.  I decided on the Queen Anne location simply because it was the closest, and even though I was stoked about the opportunity to go out and grab lunch, I still had work to get done.  As I was driving up to the location, I was wondering if I was even in the right spot as I was simply driving through a neighborhood.  Then, it opened up into a few small shops and restaurants.  I'm beginning to realize that this is a feature of all of the Seattle neighborhoods (like 14th and 70th in Ballard or Tangletown in Wallingford) that is home to some great small local restaurants that I need to frequent more often.  Macrina Bakery is a small, unassuming place, fitting in quite nicely with the rest of the neighborhood.  Inside it is very simple with the bakery directly behind the counter, the beautiful creations laid out to the left, and a small seating area to the right.  After looking through the cases, I placed my order to go, and after only a couple minutes had everything boxed up and I headed out the door.

Upon arriving home, I pulled out my sandwich.  I don't remember exactly what the name of it was, though I'm pretty sure it had something to do with "meat" (I want to say it had carne in the name).  It was on a ciabatta-type bread and filled with ample amounts of prosciutto, arugula, cheese (a combination of provolone and feta I believe), and what I think were some shallots.  I should have looked a little closer at the sign as my palette is not quite sophisticated enough to discern all of the ingredients.   It was toasted panini style which gave the outside a very nice crunch when I bit into it, while keeping the inside moist.  The sandwich was a pretty good sandwich, kind of like a gourmet ham and cheese, though the arugula and shallot combination was a tad too much for me as it overpowered the prosciutto.  I think that if/when I return, I will probably try something else.

However, the reason I went to Macrina Bakery wasn't for the panini.  The reason I went, and the reason I heard about Macrina Bakery in the first place was for the Lemon Tart.  In fact, the lemon tart was responsible for getting the bakery featured on TLC.  And I happen to be a huge fan of lemon desserts.  So, I went in with high expectations for this tart, and let me tell you, it delivered.  If you are expecting a lemon dessert that is quite sweet with a hint of lemon flavor, then this isn't the dessert for you.  This tart is all about the tartness (pardon the pun) of the lemon.  The filling is just viscous enough that it stays in it's wedge for.  The top is browned ever so lightly, and there is some white chocolate for an added sweetness.  And the crust is simple light and simply flakey.  But everything here is made as a vessel for the incredible lemon filling.  When you bite in the lemon flavor just explodes in your mouth and makes your taste buds dance.  I was actually reading an article for work when I bit into the tart, and had to stop and set it aside until I was done eating.

Macrina Bakery on UrbanspoonThe sandwich was something that you can find at a lot of different places, and was about 3.5 stars worthy, but the tart made all of the difference.  I will drive out of my way to get another one given the opportunity.  If you want a good sandwich, and happen to be passing Macrina Bakery, it's worth stopping in.  But, if you are a fan of lemon, and tart desserts, then this is an absolute must.  I don't know if you will find anything better in Seattle (though you better believe if it's out there, I'll let you know).

Final Verdict - 5 Stars (lemon tart rating)

No comments:

Post a Comment