About Me

My Photo
Michael
This blog is about 3 things. First, eating out and telling you about it. Writing food reviews is fun and enjoyable. Second, making my own meals and sharing recipes. I'm all about simple, easy, and tasty. Third, tackling some challenges in my cookbooks. This way I learn techniques and flavors that I can add to my own cooking. And it all adds up to lots of talk about lots of food. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
View my complete profile
Deck On Food Seattle restaurants

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Deck's Roasted Rosemary Chicken Breast

One of my biggest complaints about chicken breasts is too often they are dried out, and I'm sure there are a few of you that feel the same way.  And it doesn't usually matter if I make it, or I order it, there is a better than good chance that it will be dry.  So, I have been trying different things to make sure that when I make a chicken breast, it comes out moist and juicy.  I have been successful with the breaded breast (see my Chicken Parmesan recipe), but was still working on a roasted variety.  After a bit of experimentation, and a little inspiration from a Bobby Flay recipe, I have come up with this simple recipe that delivers good flavor and a very moist chicken breast.  The key to this recipe is both the bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts and the fresh rosemary.  I like to serve it with rice and some sauteed peppers, but it would be great cut up in a salad, with fresh corn, or any number of ways.

Deck's Roasted Rosemary Chicken Breast


Serves 2


Ingredients:

2 skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts
1 cup of olive oil
6 sprigs fresh rosemary
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1/2 lemon, juiced
Salt and Pepper

Step 1 - Prepare the marinade by combining the olive oil, rosemary, garlic and lemon juice in a gallon sized ziploc bag or shallow baking dish.  Salt and Pepper the chicken and then add to marinade and coat completely.  Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.  This can be prepared the night before and marinated overnight.  If possible, flip the bag halfway through the marinating time.

Step 2 - Pre-heat an oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat.  Also, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.  Remove the chicken from the marinade, and pour the remaining marinade into the preheated skillet.  Allow the oil to get up to temperature, about 2-3 minutes.

Step 3 - Place the chicken in the heated oil skin-side down and cook until brown and crispy, about 5-7 minutes depending on the size of the chicken breast.  Flip the chicken over, and cook for about 2 more minutes, then place the pan in the oven.

Step 4 - Roast the chicken in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until just cooked through.  If you have a leave-in thermometer, you'll want to cook it to 145 degrees.  When it is done, take it out of the oven, and let it rest for about 5 minutes on a cutting board.  Serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog and nice job on this one. I think the key to keeping lean meat juicy is to cook just until it's done so the thermometer is the way to go. I never knew how good chicken and pork could be until I started cooking and made sure not to overcook. All the other steps you did no doubt helped make a great dish too! :)

    ReplyDelete