About Me

My Photo
Michael
This blog is about 3 things. First, eating out and telling you about it. Writing food reviews is fun and enjoyable. Second, making my own meals and sharing recipes. I'm all about simple, easy, and tasty. Third, tackling some challenges in my cookbooks. This way I learn techniques and flavors that I can add to my own cooking. And it all adds up to lots of talk about lots of food. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
View my complete profile
Deck On Food Seattle restaurants

Monday, June 28, 2010

Deck's Chile and Fruit Sauce


When I started to get more into cooking, one of the things that I started incorporating was sauces.  It’s one of the things that I would always get when I went out to eat, but never prepared myself.  I think that they are a great accompaniment to any meal, and can bring another level of depth to the cuisine.  One of my favorite sauces is a fruit and chile combination that adds a little sweet and a little spice.  Now I’ll admit that this recipe is originally from Bobby Flay, but it’s one that I wanted to be sure I shared because I use it with many different things, and have many different variations.  It’s very simple, and doesn’t require a lot of steps, which makes it that much better (and is also why there are so few photos!).


Deck’s Chile and Fruit Sauce

Makes about 2 cups

  • 3 cups Chicken Stock
  • 2 chiles (Fresno or Jalapeño are my favorite) chopped.
  • ½ cup rice wine vinegar
  • ½ cup white wine vinegar
  • ¾ cup granulated white sugar
  • Fruit such as plums, cherries, Pomegranate, Passion Fruit, etc. (should be about 1½ - 2 cups worth; i.e. 2 plums). 


Step 1 – Combine the chicken stock and chiles in a medium sauce pan over high heat. If you want a spicier sauce, include more of the veins and seeds.  For a milder sauce, remove and discard these prior to adding to the stock.

Bring to a boil, and then reduce by half (down to 1½ cups).  This takes about 20 – 25 minutes.  Strain into a bowl when done. 

Step 2 – While the stock is reducing, combine the vinegars, sugar, and fruit in a medium sauce pan.  If you are using fruit with an edible skin (i.e. plums, cherries) leave the skin on.  Cook the mixture over medium heat until the sauce has thickened and the fruit is very soft.  Then using a stick blender or a regular blender, puree the mixture until smooth.  Strain the mixture into a clean sauce pan.

Step 3 – Add the reduced stock to the fruit mixture over medium-high heat stirring occasionally until a sauce consistency.  The mixture will reduce by almost half (any more and it becomes more of a jelly).  Keep an eye on the sauce as it is apt to boil over if you are not paying attention.

That’s it!  I think that this sauce in its variations goes well with pork and chicken.  My most recent variation was a Bing cherry and Fresno chile variety that I served over pork chops, and later over braised short ribs.  It was excellent!


No comments:

Post a Comment