About Me

My Photo
Michael
This blog is about 3 things. First, eating out and telling you about it. Writing food reviews is fun and enjoyable. Second, making my own meals and sharing recipes. I'm all about simple, easy, and tasty. Third, tackling some challenges in my cookbooks. This way I learn techniques and flavors that I can add to my own cooking. And it all adds up to lots of talk about lots of food. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
View my complete profile
Deck On Food Seattle restaurants

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Deck on Fainting Goat Gelato - Seattle Restaurant Review

A couple of weeks ago I made my first trip to Fainting Goat Gelato after a nice dinner at Brad's Swingside Cafe.  The gelato was just fantastic, and I wrote a "bonus review" at the end of my original review of Brad's.  The thing is, Fainting Goat deserves far more than just a one paragraph bonus review.  It deserves a post of it's own.

For about the past week I've been wanting to go back to Fainting Goat.  The cinnamon gelato was just so fantastic and so memorable, and this is coming from someone who really is not a sweets or a dessert person, that tends toward the fruity end of the spectrum.  So today, I finally gave into my craving and headed out to get some gelato.

When I got in my car, I decided that in the interest of fairness and comparativeness, I would go to the 85th St. Cafe that is right in my neighborhood rather than drive down to Wallingford for the Fainting Goat.  This way I would at least have a point of comparison and could more objectively say just how good Fainting Goat is.  But, when I pulled up at 9 o'clock, everything was closed and shut down, so I went with my initial plan and headed into Wallingford. 

When I walked into the Fainting Goat, I was instantly excited.  I had been thinking about the spicy chocoloate for most of the drive over there (again, I'm really not a sweets person, and definitely not a chocolate person...it was this good).  But, before ordering a big scoop of gelato, I decided to taste a couple.  First was the spicy chocoloate, which was definitely good.  A nice smooth chocolate with just a hint of heat that caught you right at the very end, just in the back of your throat.  Next I was offered the Almond which had a wonderful rich, explosive flavor.  I decided I was still in the mood for the Spicy Chocolate so I would go with it, and I placed my order. 

While waiting for my scoop, I continued to puruse the cases, looking at probably a dozen or so flavors.  The cinnamon one was absent this night, but there were some new flavors not there previously like Tiramisu (the rotating flavors has now made this even more intriguing...).  Then out of the corner of my eye, I spied a nearly empty hotel pan with a sign that read "Pistachio".  I had to stop the server before fulling dishing up my scoop of Spicy Chocolate to get a taste of the pistachio.  This was absolutely worth it.  The flavor was just perfect, sweet, with a hint of the saltiness you expect from a pistachio, yet so rich and creamy.  Unfortunately (or fortunately as the case may have it) there was only enough left for a half scoop.  So, I was able to still satiate my spicy chocolate desire, as well as sample the Pistachio. 

In the end, the Spicy Chocolate was definitely good, but the Pistachio was incredibly delicious, almost to the level of the Cinnamon.  I didn't for one second regret my drive, and gladly paid the $3 for a heaping scoop of wonderful gelato.  Again, I'm not the type with a real sweet tooth for most things (with maybe the exception being Sour Patch Kids), but Fainting Goat has won me over.  I wonder what flavors are going to be there tomorrow night...

Final Verdict: 4.5 stars, and a must visit for anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment