About Me

My Photo
Michael
This blog is about 3 things. First, eating out and telling you about it. Writing food reviews is fun and enjoyable. Second, making my own meals and sharing recipes. I'm all about simple, easy, and tasty. Third, tackling some challenges in my cookbooks. This way I learn techniques and flavors that I can add to my own cooking. And it all adds up to lots of talk about lots of food. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
View my complete profile
Deck On Food Seattle restaurants

Friday, April 23, 2010

Deck on Zippy's - Hawaii Restaurant Review

This morning was supposed to be my ritual visit to Boot's and Kimo's out in Kailua; quite possibly my favorite breakfast place not just on the island, but in the country.  But, unfortunately due to a couple of circumstances beyond my control, I just wasn't able to pull it off (a combination of a long line and having to pick someone up at the airport).  So, it was on to plan B, Zippy's on Vineyard.

Zippy's is something of a Hawaiian institution.  There are nearly 30 restaurants scattered throughout the islands serving Hawaiian plate lunch.  And for me, this Zippy's is a little more special than your average restaurant; it was the first place Jennifer took me to eat when I came to Hawaii for the first time almost 4 years ago.  Zippy's was my exposure to the two scoops of rice and mac salad that are synonymous with plate lunch, as well as a Sprunch and Loco Moco.

For this trip, I was still thinking breakfast, but unfortunately it is only served until 10:30, and we didn't make it until almost 11.  So, I decided to go for one of my favorites; the chicken katsu plate lunch.  Chicken Katsu is a thin, breaded filet of chicken served with a katsu sauce that is somewhere between hoisin and barbeque sauce.  The chicken was actually very good, pretty moist with a nice crunch being provided by the breading.  I did try a bite without the katsu sauce, and it was pretty bland.  The sauce definitely pulls everything together.  Other than that, the rice and mac salad were pretty much as expected, though the mac salad had a bit less mayo (and hence a little less flavor) than the Rainbow Drive In from a couple of days earlier.  The portion size was also a bit smaller at Zippy's.

Overall, Zippy's delivered exactly what I was expecting, a good Hawaiian meal at a reasonable price.  Was the food amazingly delicious?  No, but it was definitely flavorful and good.  Would I go back?  Absolutely.  It definitely delivers on it's promise, and if I just need something quick and Hawaiian, Zippy's is the place to go.  Not to mention that appeal that it will always hold as my first Hawaiian food experience.

Final Verdict:  3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment