About Me

My Photo
Michael
This blog is about 3 things. First, eating out and telling you about it. Writing food reviews is fun and enjoyable. Second, making my own meals and sharing recipes. I'm all about simple, easy, and tasty. Third, tackling some challenges in my cookbooks. This way I learn techniques and flavors that I can add to my own cooking. And it all adds up to lots of talk about lots of food. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
View my complete profile
Deck On Food Seattle restaurants

Monday, April 12, 2010

Tonight I'm Celebrating National Grilled Cheese Day

Most of the time I try and be very healthy with my cooking, using minimal amounts of oil and butter, fresh ingredients, and smaller portions.  But some days, it's all about making something quick, easy, and delicious.  And when that day happens to be National Grilled Cheese Day, well the healthy cooking just goes out the window and the deliciousness comes rushing in.

Since we were both out and about until later tonight, I just wanted to do something quick, and really, what's better than grilled cheese and tomato soup?  But, in the interest of being a little more adventurous, I didn't go with your basic Campbell's soup and American Cheese grilled cheese (no offense to either of these wonderful products that I grew up on).  For the sandwich, I first put a generous dollop of mayonnaise on two slices of fresh wheat bread from Whole Foods.  Then I add a good bit of Tillamook Cheddar cheese.  For a lot of people, that's enough, but not for me.  Tonight, I wanted to take it to another level.  And how do you take grilled cheese to the next notch?  You add fresh slab cut bacon.  Finally, butter both sides and slowly toast in a skillet over medium heat.  For the soup, I cheated a little (hey, I said I didn't have a lot of time tonight) and purchased a Fire Roasted Tomato Soup.  For mine, I added a little milk, freshly ground black pepper and Tabasco just to give it that extra kick.

That's it.  Some days it's all about being simple, taking it easy, and just enjoying food without a lot of preparation.  I think that's exactly what National Grilled Cheese Day represents.  Just remember the simply enjoyable things in life.

Tomorrow, there will be more, possibly a halibut dish, possibly something else.  But tonight, I'm just going to sit back, enjoy my Coke Zero, and savor the taste of the delicious bacon grilled cheese still on my tongue and the smells still in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment