About Me

My Photo
Michael
This blog is about 3 things. First, eating out and telling you about it. Writing food reviews is fun and enjoyable. Second, making my own meals and sharing recipes. I'm all about simple, easy, and tasty. Third, tackling some challenges in my cookbooks. This way I learn techniques and flavors that I can add to my own cooking. And it all adds up to lots of talk about lots of food. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
View my complete profile
Deck On Food Seattle restaurants

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Deck On Paseo - A Return Trip That was Better than the Original

Alright, I'm hooked.  I'm a huge fan, a promoter, and borderlilne obsessive when it comes to Paseo.  This is without a doubt one of the greatest food finds I've made since moving to Seattle.   Not that Paseo is a huge secret, it's doors are covered with "Best of" awards.  I just obviously was not paying attention. 

After spending four days on the road, I decided that I would work from home rather than making the 17 mile trek into the office.  The morning started like any other, four hours of conference calls, ending with me trying to figure out what to do for lunch.  It was then that I remembered that I was only minutes from the Paseo in Ballard, and that I was really interested in giving the #8 Pressed Sandwich a try.  So, I headed out.

The first thing I noticed about the Ballard Paseo is that the line was shorter.  I think this owes more to the location away from the University, many businesses, etc. than anything else.  I'm sure it will be packed on the weekends this summer as people make their way to Golden Gardens.  After placing my order, I sat at the counter waiting, savoring the tantilizing aromas of onions and roasted pork (the pressed sandwich does require a few extra minutes of cooking time, so allow for that).  My mouth was watering within a few seconds.  When they called my number, I grabbed my sandwich, and headed back home so I could be properly comfortable, and properly enjoy my lunch.

As much as I enjoyed the #2 Cuban Roast, I think I may have eaten it for the last time.  The #8 managed to absolutely put it to shame.  The #8 incorporates the same crispy bread, wonderfully caramelized onions, juicy roasted pork and incredible special sauce that the Cuban Roast does, but then it gets taken to the next level.  On top of the all of that is added thinly sliced ham, melted cheese (provolone I think), and banana peppers.  It is then pressed together and toasted to perfection.  Biting into it, pieces of the overstuffed sandwich fall on to the plate, sauce drips onto my fingers, and I savor every bite. 

I am definitely looking forward to my next meal at Paseo, but before I make my fandom official, there is one thing I have left to do.  I just found out about Paladar Cubano, a similarly small Cuban style restaurant that boasts the "...only real-deal Cuban sandwich..." in Seattle.  I owe it to you my readers, and myself as a writer to give the competition a fighting chance before pledging my allegiance to Paseo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment